Ethically, it's difficult for me to condone doing something like this. Bribery is very much a way of life in West Africa (and many other parts of the world.) Sometimes I ask myself "if everyone is expected to pay a bribe for things to get done... does that make bribery legitimate?" Something to ponder.
We have no teacher training tomorrow at AIS because Ghana is announcing the contested presidential election results. I fully expect nothing to happen, as do most people I know. To be on the safe side though we are staying home, as there is always the possibility of running into some political rallies that go too far tomorrow.
With AIS, I FINALLY have my teaching position defined. I will be teaching Kindergarden for two weeks until the real teacher shows up. (Because let's face it, I'm not good with stickers and smiley faces and saying criss-cross applesauce all day). After their teacher comes, I will be serving full time as an ESOL and learning Support Teacher. Learning support is essentially working with children that need extra help.
Make no mistake... not everything is organized or put-together here. AIS clearly is having areas where many of the teachers I live with are getting frustrated. We don't have our curriculum yet, and classes start next Wednesday. Neither do we have any supplies for our classrooms besides desks and a smartboard.
But hey, I'm here and I'm happy and I'm ready to be around kids.
| My new life after-school. |
No comments:
Post a Comment